Wednesday, September 14, 2005

My Dilemma

My Dilemma

Every night, and for the past 17 years, I go through a dilemma. Every night it happens and I ask myself these questions: how did I let it go on so long? Why didn't I nip this in the bud, and be done with it? Why do I still put up with it, and... the 100 million Dirham question: What can I do about it tonight?

Your question is: What the heck is she talking about?!

And whoopie freaking-doo, at least that is a question to which I have an answer. You see, it's my husband; everynight when it's time to go to sleep, we switch on the air conditioning, turn off the light.. and he switches on the TV. Yes, you read this right; it's anywhere between 12:00 am and 2:30 am, and *he* switches on the TV. His claim is that he's always been like this; that he can never fall asleep without watching the TV first. Sometimes it only takes 15 mins and he's out like a light.

During the old days, when there were no 24 hour channels, do you think that stopped him? Nope, he'd turn on the VCR (for those of you who were born during the last 5 years only, that's like a DVD player, but it's larger and they use "tape" not a CD.) Now, here's the dilemma: I *can't sleep* when the TV is on. Yes, I know it's on "mute" but I still can't sleep. The knowledge that it is running keeps me alert. What's worse is that even though I have my eyes closed, I can still see the flicker flicker flicker of the TV behind my eye-lids. Don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about it! You try it and see, especially when there is an action sequence or a really hip looking commercial.

And so there I lie.. sleepless, while he slowly falls asleep. He doesn't care, he doesn't have to work the next day; but I DO! Oh and here's the part that used to make me furious. When he used to turn on the VCR, he'd quickly sleep (coz he used to work back then), but I'd stay awake and watch the movie to the end. Pathetic, I know!

You'd think I'd have gotten used to it by now.. No siree.. I still grumble and yank the covers and toss and turn - noisily - and huff and puff. And his reaction? He tosses my old scarf at me, so I can wind it around my eyes to avoid the flicker. Isn't he nice?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

he is nice.. But hell yeah u r nicer 😂😂

Followers